Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Integrity


I fired a client last week. Or maybe they fired me. I guess we fired each other. This is not the first time that’s happened and I’m sure it won’t be the last.


Scenario: I was told that they had set an ironclad policy against considering any candidate who was currently unemployed. Their rationale was that it raised an automatic red flag.


Now I have to tell you that I see myself as much as an advisor to my clients as I am a recruiter. That may not be how my clients necessarily see me, but that is what I strive for and I take that part of my role seriously. In this case I felt compelled to tell them that their policy was wrong- perhaps not my exact choice of words, but the gist is there. I can think of more than a dozen very strong A-player researchers right now who find themselves between jobs- departments eliminated, child-rearing, relocations, and many other legitimate reasons. I tried to reason that they by definition were disqualifying a block of potentially worthy candidates.


Of course, my opinion didn’t go over very well, and they scolded me that “every other recruiter we work with” appreciated their rationale and had no problem with it. Herein lies the rub. I’d be hard-pressed to believe that other recruiters wouldn’t also cringe at such a policy. Instead, I believe they’re ‘yessing’ my client to death in order to remain in good graces and hopefully make a buck.


My client certainly was not accustomed to a recruiter pushing back. I went on to convey to my client some of the ‘street talk’ I had heard about their company- that it was autocratic, close-minded to new ideas and perspectives, and that this was just adding validity to the argument. Well, as you can imagine, that went over even worse and that was the end of our relationship.


It struck me that my client relationships are not unlike the market research industry supplier-client relationships (or even internal client suppliers). Lots of talk about needing actionable insights and strategic recommendations rather than just data-pushers, but I suspect that many times very sharp researchers are politely shown the door and their ‘actionable insights’ are quickly discounted or worse. Hidden agendas, political infighting, and client-supplier dynamics all can play a disastrous role. Clients want research companies to tell them what to do, but frequently they only want it when it supports the marketing team’s pre-determined position. Too bold in your advice? Not what they wanted to hear? That’s the last RFP you’ll see from them! Counter-productive? Of course!


The truly strong companies- my clients and yours- are those that can take it on the chin and get beyond the ego.


Courtship in Recruiting


Another scenario that blew up in my face some time back: I had to tell a client that they were nickel-and-diming the interview process (forcing candidates to drive an extra hour to a cheaper airport, and then fly 2 extra hours for cheaper connections, all just to save $100 or so). This story had begun to circulate through the candidate pool so that as soon as I would mention the client, candidates would bow out. Not being the most tactful guy on earth, I tried to explain to my client that this was a poor reflection on them- that the days of “I’m the potential boss and you have to grovel before me” are largely gone and they needed to do a bit of selling themselves up front. My (former) client’s response to the above was pretty much, “Who do you think you are to criticize us?”… EPIC FAIL.


As we say on the Zen Talent website, “Integrity and Honesty Even When It Hurts”


On that note, I frequently compare the recruiting process to blind dates. Each side is putting on their best to impress, to see if there is a spark that might turn into love. My job is to ride shotgun and spot miscommunications or missed signals, and clarify them to keep things on track to see if there is a connection. Candidates nowadays expect to be treated as the professionals they are, and the equation ideally should be balanced with both sides looking for the win-win. Too often I still see clients who won’t engage in a bit of wooing on the front end, which rightfully gives candidates the heebies about what the culture must be like if and when they join the company.


I will also note that candidates need to watch for getting their backs up, too, because I see plenty of that also. I believe you should assume the best through the process until you see or hear something that truly makes you want to end the conversation. If red flags come up, don’t necessarily walk away. Just make a mental note to make sure that’s properly addressed before committing to a job. Many candidates (especially the more senior ones) get huffy if a client takes too long to provide feedback or schedule next steps, or asks for another writing sample, etc. Remember that their derriere is on the line too and they need to be as thorough as possible to ensure that the win-win love affair doesn’t turn into an ugly divorce.


The Buck Stops Here


Which brings me back around to firing/ getting fired. Sure, I could have sucked it up and yessed my client, and maybe made a buck in the end. I have to tell you though, for me, for Victoria, and for Lydia, it isn’t about the buck. Sure we need to make a living, but our thrill is two-fold: putting together the win-win long-term successful placement; and knowing that our clients see us as valuable partners in helping shape their companies with great talent. Our true Zen moment is watching our talent grow great companies!


If you do sense a recruiter who’s just trying to score a deal, politely decline their help. You want someone who has the win-win in mind. We’re not the only ones out there who take the high road, but I’m afraid to admit that my industry is rampant with those for whom it’s only about the money.


Good luck!


BTW, if we haven't gotten acquainted with you by now, please take ~5 minutes and complete our Profile Survey (link on the Zen Talent website). We absolutely don't do anything with your information without your permission, but it gives us a better feel for everyone in the market- candidates and clients alike!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home